Have you yet to find a skin care routine that works for your sensitive, combination skin? If you are anything like me, you suffer from breakouts. (Especially around that time of the month) Luckily, I have found skin care products that help to combat my break outs so that I don’t suffer as much. I am going to share with you the best skincare routine for combination skin and the skin care products I use. I hope these products help you too!
Disclaimer: I am not an expert, these are products that have just worked for me in the past. I also use affiliate links and you can read my full disclosure here.
My skin type: Combination and sensitive with breakouts mostly on chin, jawline and near hair line.
Best skin care routine for sensitive combination skin
The first step of my skin care routine is to take a clean face cloth and wash my face thoroughly with warm water. After I rinse my face I take my Murad AHA/BHA exfoliator. I am obsessed with this exfoliator because it isn’t too harsh which makes it easy to use daily. It removes all of my excess make up. I have sensitive skin and this does a perfect job of not irritating it. I also appreciate how they do not test on animals.
The second step of my skin care routine for sensitive, combination skins is using the Murad Hydrating Toner. This toner is AMAZING. Since I do use a lot of salicylic acid on my face, my skin tends to dry out quick. I find it important to keep it hydrated and looking plump. After I exfoliate my skin I spray two to three spritz of this toner and instantly my face feels refreshed. This toner does an excellent job brightening and making my skin look hydrated and flawless.
The next step to my skin care routine is a prescription topical cream that my dermatologist recommended. It is a Tretinoin topical cream and I apply a pea size to each of my problem areas on my face. This helps to dry out the acne and minimize the redness and inflammation. Works like a charm! I suggest asking your dermatologist for a topical cream prescription if you suffer from breakouts and sensitive skin.
Next, I like to use the Sunday Riley U.F.O Ultra clarifying face oil, this product is incredible. I love this face oil. Many are skeptic to put oils on their face however, there are necessary oils that are there to help improve your skin. I have always suffered with cystic chin acne and this product helps to minimize the amount of cystic breakouts I have. This face oil contains tea tree oil which gives it a potent smell but it is bearable for me because the product works so well on my skin. My skin seems to loves tea tree oil. I recommend this to those who have cystic breakouts like I do.
After my face oil sinks into my skin I then apply my OLEHENRIKSEN truth serum. My skin LOVES this serum and it’s been a staple in my skin care routine for a while now. The Truth serum contains vitamin C and collagen which is great for brightening the skin. I am obsessed with this serum and will be restocking my shelf soon.
The next step to my skin care routine for sensitive skin is applying the OLEHENRIKSEN invigorating night transformation gel. This gel works miracles. This gel is pack with AHAs to help give your skin an even, smooth, texture. You can definitely feel the sting in this gel but if you breath through it you will see some incredible results. It is also a great anti aging gel. Never too early to start preparing your skin for the future!
The final step to my skin care routine is applying a good moisturizer. My favorite moisturizer that I have been using daily since grade school is by Cetaphil. This moisturizer was recommended to me by my dermatologist and I have used it ever since. Having moisturized skin is extremely important! Always use a moisturizer daily.
The best skin care masks for sensitive skin
Your skin deserves extra pampering too. Here are a few of my favorite masks to treat my skin with when it is in need of extra TLC!
This is a great skin care mask to exfoliate your skin and stimulate it to rejuvenation.
This skin care mask is perfect for clearing your pores. For a more intense clean I apply this.
This is my favorite mask of all time. It helps to brighten dull skin and helps minimize pores and fine lines. A skin care must!
Keep in mind these extra skin perfecting tips as well
- Water: Keep your skin hydrated by drinking a TON of water. If you think you drank a lot of water, drink even more! This really helps to keep your skin looking clear, fresh, and bright.
- Cut out the dairy: I’m serious, dairy contains extra hormones that your body does not need. When you eat or drink dairy your body receives these extra hormone toxins and tries to dispose of them which then results in acne. It’s a pain in the rear and it’s hard to do but cut down the cheese!
- SPF is a must: During the hot summer months, always protect your skin with SPF. There are many moisturizers that contain SPF, use these especially during the hot, summer months.
- Eat Good Foods: Almonds are perfect to add to your morning routine. They help with inflammation of the skin. Eating almonds actually helps bring inflammation down. For lunch eat salmon or tuna. These provide the same benefits, dermatologist approved!
- Try and change your pillowcases every two days at least: This helps with breakouts. Let’s face it, just like clothes your pillowcases need cleaning too. The less you change and clean them the more oils, spit, sweat etc. is waiting to gravitate to your skin.
- Cut out extra sugars: This means soda, cookies, and unnecessary junk foods from your diet and watch as your skin changes!
I hope these skin care products and skin care tips help create a radiant glow for your skin this summer.
You might also like: